|
|

Potter House 3 - 495 State Street363 viewsThe house, as it appeared in 2006 (the one in the middle of the photo, with the triple-wide front window to the right of the entrance) was occupied by the Club in the Fall of 1938 as the third Potter House. Paul Ward `53, confirmed from the research that the house was occupied until 1943.
The State College News carried the following announcement in its September 30, 1938 issue:
The Edward Eldred Potter Club will conduct a housewarming party at the new fraternity house, 495 State Street, from 8:30 - 12:00. Potter throws its doors open to the entire student body. Everyone is urged to attend.
V. Edward Burke, 1942, was House Manager probably in his Senior year (1941-1942).
Because of declining male college enrollment during WWII , Potter Club disbanded. In the fall of 1943 the house was renamed Stokes Hall and became the home to 18 NYSCT coeds, according to Rosalie Pooler Stage, 1947. She lived in 495 State Street as a sophomore in 1944-1945.
|
|

2011 Albany Luncheon at Potter Room Alumni House, April 16363 viewsSeated, clockwise: Milan Krchniak, `52; Bob Umholtz, `51; Carlton Coulter, `35; Paul Ward, `53; Jim Panton, `53 (back to camera)
|
|

2013 Albany Luncheon at Route 7 Diner Nov 13363 viewsL to R: Ken Doran, `39; Paul Ward, `53; Peter McManus, `54
|
|

Joe McCormack; Bea Finnen; and Arline Wood at the Reception362 viewsJoe MCCormack, `53; Bea Lehan Finnen, `54; and Arline Lacy Wood, `54
|
|

Dan Schultz, President, 1962362 viewsDaniel Schultz, President, 1962
|
|

Cooperstown 2007 Palczaks362 viewsClaude and Donna Palczak 1953
|
|

2006 Reunion 75th Anniversary 1949 1950 1951 1952 Table362 viewsSeated, L to R: Joyce Leavitt Zanchelli, `52; Joe Zanchelli, `49; Ben Jackson, `50; Gloria Jackson;
Ken Ludlum, `51; David Wetherby, `51; Paul Bullock, `51; Bob Umholtz, `51
|
|

Reception in Potter Room362 viewsBob Umholtz, `51 and Gerry Leggieri, `68
|
|

2006 Reunion 75th Anniversary 362 viewsPotter faces assembled for group photo.
|
|

Carlton Coulter `35 and Paul Ward `53361 viewsCarlton Coulter, President, 1935 and Paul Ward, President, 1953
|
|

Potter House 1 - 415 Washington Avenue361 viewsThis part of the history of Potter Houses was provided by Carlton Coulter, President, 1935. Carlton shared his vivid recollections of this history at the Potter Luncheon, Latham, November, 13, 2007. The site of the house is directly across the street from the back side of the Downtown Campus. It is just West of the Unitarian Church. The original house has been torn down and is now the site of an extension of the Church. While the exact street address is not certain, the existing buildings on either side shown in the photos below are 405 and 421.
The house was originally occupied in the Fall of 1933 by five Potter Club members and a couple of non-members, and was called "Chiseler's Inn." Housing for students in these days was oftentimes in private homes or privately owned houses that accommodated several students. In 1934 the house was solely occupied by Pottermen, becoming the first official Potter House.
|
|

Reception in Potter Room361 viewsPaulette Schwartz Greene, `62 and Nan McEvoy DeMichiell, `55
|
|
| 1071 files on 90 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
36 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|